This article is intended to provide tips that people can use to enhance their overall well-being. It is not intended to be a comprehensive guide. It’s a simple guide full of concrete steps anybody can take toward better health.
The term “Wellbeing” can implies both physical and emotional wellness. These are considered to be equally important and inherently related by many healthcare professionals. We will provide you with some specific actions to take and things to avoid when making daily decisions. These examples will address ways to improve your emotional and physical fortitude. Read on to find out some do’s and don’ts to bring balance to your life.
Food provides the building blocks for life and sustains us. Everyone needs to eat to stay healthy. People have a very diverse set of dietary needs. Newborn babies, children, young adults, adults and older adults all have different dietary guidelines to follow. Additionally, body type, genetics and lifestyle habits also need to be factored in. For instance, a newborn baby may need to eat small portions often throughout the day until they can start eating more at once. Eventually they will follow the typical eating patterns of older children and adults, eating three times a day.
As most parents know, children love to snack in-between meals. There are a dizzying array of different diets and ways to consume food. Although we all have different goals and needs, the following tips can help:
· Portion control is key. Eat the smallest portion that you can to make yourself feel full. To avoid overeating, wait 30 minutes after you eat one portion to see if you are full or not.
· Sick with foods low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, too much salt and processed sugars. Look at the labels to see what kinds of ingredients are in your food. You may be shocked to see what’s inside some of your favorite treats.
· Protein should come from lean meats, fish, eggs and nuts.
· The bulk of your diet should consist of natural food products, vegetables, grains and low fat dairy products.
· Snacks are okay as long as you exercise some restraint. Opt for healthy snacks like whole grain toast or raw cashews.
· Stay away from soft drinks with lots of sugar. These are full of unnecessary calories and sugar. Diet soft drinks may not be a healthy alternative, as they contain high amounts of processed ingredients and little nutrition value.
· Don’t eat too much before bedtime. This can cause weight gain and reduce the quality of sleep.
· Avoid emotional eating. Sometimes we eat junk food for emotional reasons. Finding other healthy ways to deal with stress can help with this problem.
· Try going vegan. A vegan diet and philosophy is a sound way to reduce your weight and eat healthy. Vegetable lovers and vegans need to check with their doctors to make sure that they are getting the proper nutrients.
· Cooking food above 165 degrees Fahrenheit is a good guideline to kill most unsafe microscopic organisms and pathogens. If you eat any raw foods, make sure that you wash them completely under clean running water prior to eating.
· Eating undercooked meats of any sort can be hazardous. If you do eat raw meat, such as sushi, make sure you trust the people who prepare it for you.
Tips for Special Circumstances
The following tips are for those who face specific challenges due to health conditions or unique circumstances.
· Those with diabetes should use the tips mentioned above to manage their glucose levels. Keeping blood glucose levels under control is crucial to managing diabetes.
· Individuals with uncommon work routines (graveyard shifts, military etc.) need to prioritize their diet. It may take some extra effort for them to make time for a consistent diet. Try to stick with a breakfast, lunch and dinner routine.
· People who are attempting to lose weight should avoid all greasy and sugary foods. Their diet should mainly consist of vegetables, organic food products and nuts. Try and keep the intake of dairy products to a minimum.
If you are having trouble with your diet, consult a professional. Your health care provider will work with you to determine which type diet is best for you. Total Home Health can connect you with experienced health care experts who are ready to help you live a long, healthy and fulfilling life. Join today to learn jumpstart a longer, healthier life.