We all will experience pain at some point in our lives whether it stems from a physical, emotional, spiritual cause, or from something else. As far as physical pain goes sometimes it is acute and will resolve rather quickly. However, at other times it can become chronic, so we will have to find ways to manage it in order to cope to make the best out of our daily life. Pain is said to be “whatever the person experiencing it says it is, existing whenever they say it does.” This means that you or your loved ones are the only ones that can determine your level of pain, and caregivers should manage it appropriately related to your descriptions.
All pain results from a signal cascade within the body’s neurological network and the way each person interprets the pain will be different. Healthcare professionals with Total Home Health will strive to closely take into account a five-step approach to pain measurement as follows:
1. Pain will be assessed and treated promptly for all clients. Also, pain assessment along with all documentation will be clearly communicated with other professionals involved in your care. Clear communication will allow for consistency of care and improved pain control.
2. You, as the client will be actively engaged in the pain management plan. This is because you are the only one that is able to describe your level of pain that you are experiencing.
3. Healthcare professionals need to treat patients with analgesics as a precautionary measure to safely, effectively, and reasonably manage pain.
4. Pain should be reassessed frequently, and treatment should be adjusted if the need arises in order to meet your needs.
5. Healthcare companies and facilities should have a comprehensive quality improvement program established that monitors both healthcare provider practices and client outcomes for pain management, in order to provide the best care possible.
Pain assessment in those individuals who have impairments with communication can prove to be a very challenging task. Healthcare professionals sometimes like to take it upon themselves to judge the pain a client is experiencing. With Total Home Health this will not happen because it could result in not treating pain adequately, if the assessment is based on the assumption of a nurse alone. With Total Home Health you will never have to worry about this because you are the number one focus. We provide professional, non-judgmental care that is centered around each and every one of your needs so that you are comfortable and satisfied in order to get the most out of your daily life.
Some people may think that pain is natural with the aging process or that the elderly individual is just finding something to complain about. Both of those views are wrong because there is almost always a legitimate reason behind what is causing the aches and pains. Pain can also lead to other problems and interfere with everyday activities, such as anxiety and depression. The individual may begin to feel hopeless because they can no longer do everything they used to do, and anxious at the fact that someone else has to do it for them. Those who experience pain may be at a greater risk for falls, weight loss, poor concentration, and difficulties with relationships.
After careful assessment of your pain, your provider will provide precise instructions to our Total Home Health nurses so that your pain can be managed as effective as possible while allowing you to enjoy life to the fullest. If ever you feel your pain worsens, your current treatment is not working like it has in the past, or if you begin to experience a different type of pain, please do not hesitate to contact your provider so that treatment changes can be put into place quickly.
Caring for your loved one can be taxing on your health and demand much more time and strength than you may have available to offer. The efforts and sacrifices you provide to your loved one are vital to extending their quality of life. However, caregivers need to actively care for their own physical, emotional and mental well-being too. This is because caring for yourself is the best way to give quality care to the ones you love. Although as a caregiver to your loved one it may sound simple enough, you should realize at what point you could use extra help, then do not be reluctant to ask for it, and finally, accept it when offered. Everyone can use a break every now and then. Total Home Health has a program designed with your needs in mind. We are here for you when your loved one begins to require more assistance, do not wait for help…enroll today!